Breaking News
recent

Why didn’t I put CyanogenMod 11 on my Nexus 5 sooner?

CyanogenMod 11:

 
The Nexus 5 was unveiled on October 31st of last year, and offered for sale through Google’s Play Store the same day. In those several months I’ve run the stock version of Android, though about half way through I rooted it and run several apps that require those elevated privileges.
That’s pretty significant. It’s the first personal phone that I haven’t run a Custom ROM on since my very early days with Windows CE. Even back then I ran “cooked” ROMs on my Pocket PCs. Since then, running a Custom ROM has gotten significantly easier. Rooting toolkits are available that take all the guesswork out of installing the right USB drivers, unlocking, rooting, and flashing a custom recovery image. Once you’re that far, you’ve got your choice of half-a-dozen or so ROMs that you can run on your device.
That’s what makes Android 4.4 KitKat and the Nexus 5 so significant.
Whenever I get a new phone, I generally run “stock” for a few weeks, so I can see what’s new first-hand, and so I can experience the device the way the manufacturer intended. During that time I’m generally hyper-aware of what I’m missing by not running CyanogenMod 11, Paranoid Android, AOKP, or any number of other ROMs. Those few weeks without the added features are usually more than enough for me, and I’m happy to make the switch back all too quickly.
This time, however, stock Android has been enough. KitKat is finally the version of Android that everyone has been waiting for. It’s quick. It’s stable. It looks good. It’s intuitive. It really doesn’t need anything else — however, that’s not to say that you might not want to add to it.Then, one night a few weeks ago I found myself with some spare time, no where to go, and nothing to do. Instead of cracking open a new eBook or watching an episode of Firefly for the umpteenth time, I decided to download and flash the latest Cyanogen Mod 11 Nightly. Before long I was up and running, and re-configuring all the apps on my phone.
I now have quiet hours again, along with profiles that I can trigger via my per-existing NFC tags placed strategically around my environment. I can download and install themes and make make changes to my Quick Settings panel and Notification drawer.
I have blacklisting at my disposal to automatically reject calls based on who’s calling, right on the phone itself, no third-party needed. My personal information is kept more private thanks to Privacy Guard, and I can talk securely over SMS thanks to WhisperPush — without having to buy a $10/month subscription to Silent Circle.
Of course, the list goes on.
Unknown

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.