Breaking News
recent

Tech2Talk: Nexus 5X or 6P – which one would you opt for?

Google has finally launched its two flagship devices – the Nexus 5X and the Nexus 6P – starting at Rs 31,990 and Rs 39,990 respectively. This is the first time Google has decided to opt for two Nexus devices. Which one do we prefer? We sat down to discuss our favourites.

Nimish Sawant
Given a choice, I would go for the 16GB Google Nexus 5X over the Nexus 6P. The Nexus 6P may be the best among the two in terms of specifications and build quality, but for me the Nexus 5X is a clear pick between the two.
For starters, I am not a huge fan of large screens. I have come to a sort of comfort level with the 5.2-inch form factor. Being a photography enthusiast, I want the camera in my phone to be really good, and although I haven’t used the 12.3MP shooter on the Nexus devices, I’m sure it should at least have the basics right.
01_Nexus-5X
Since both devices sport the same rear camera, I don’t really see any point in spending extra money for a larger display or Snapdragon 810 (known to heat up). Sure, the Nexus 6P doesn’t just have a large, but also a higher resolution display – 2560×1440 pixels against the 1920×1080 pixels on the Nexus 5X. I have argued in the past, about how I felt regarding higher resolution displays on smartphones – so that argument still remains.
I’m not a heavy gamer, so the Snapdragon 808 with 2GB of RAM is enough for my needs. That also explains why I’m fine with a 16GB storage variant. The only thing that is of concern to me is the 2,700 mAh battery. Now Google claims that it has improved on the power management features in Marshmallow OS. But initial reactions from some friends who’ve updated their Nexus 5 to Marshmallow, are not positive when it comes to battery life. The Doze feature, according to some friends works great in the standby mode. Since the Nexus 5X fulfills my needs, I’d pick it over the Nexus 6P.
Karrishma Modhy
The LG Nexus 5X and Huawei Nexus 6P are finally here. Priced at over Rs 30,000 for both devices, the Nexus devices don’t differentiate significantly over competition apart from the updated OS – Android 6.0 Marshmallow. However, if I’ve to choose a favourite between the two, it’d be the Nexus 6P.
Being the more ‘premium’ Nexus device, the Huawei made smartphone has two points which make it more likable for me then the 5X. Those two reasons would be a large display, along with a 3GB RAM. Apart from these two specifications, the rest of the sheet is yet, more impressive than compared to the LG-made 5X.
In the past few months, there is no doubt that Huawei smartphones are gaining followers worldwide. At the time of launch, Twitter fans voiced their opinion as well and favoured the Nexus 6P.
This does not mean the 5X is not feature rich, but with the set of specifications offered by the company, the pricing might have been unreasonable. At the end of day, the 5X might not be much different than the OnePlus 2 or the Xiaomi Mi 4. The brand name ‘Nexus’ might not have such a strong community that people would blindly opt for it and pay whatever it demands. Had Google priced this device at around Rs 25,000, the odds would have been in favour of the 5X.
Naina Khedekar
Following its arch-rival Apple, Google has released two new devices. This is a very common and consistent trend followed by manufacturers. However, I don’t think I could single out and choose either of the devices. There are options in the same price bracket and even cheaper giving those devices an edge over the new Nexus phones, especially considering how the brand Nexus was once almost synonymous to budget devices with superior specs. The new prices and specs seem to have lost link here.
oneplus
It isn’t just about the brand Nexus, the market now offers comparatively better options. For instance, the ‘cheaper’ 5X – featuring 2GB RAM and asking you to pay separately for the cable to connect to the computer – comes with lower specs and almost Rs 10k higher price tag compared to the likes of OnePlus 2 and the rumoured Xiaomi Mi 5. If one is ready to let go the unadulterated, pure Android experience over forked versions, then there are several worthy options out there.
Nash David
Not long ago, we were discussing the price of the iPhone 6s and the 6s Plus in India. Turns out since India is the priciest market for the Apple iPhone, it’s out of reach by a long margin. Today, Google announced the pricing of the Nexus smartphones – Nexus 5X and the 6P – in India. I was reminded of the iPhone 5c and 5s a couple of years ago. The verdict was out. The 5s was quite expensive, but turned out to be more successful of the two. A buying decision isn’t black and white, although we’d love that.
Between the two Nexus devices being offered, one’s made of plastic. The other, metal. Personally, I prefer the latter. A metal phone looks and feels premium. Plastic, not so much. That comes across as a means to cut costs. Unless you’re colourful, which becomes trendy.
01_Nexus-6P
Comparing the two devices, if I take a closer look, I’d opt for a 32GB device for an optimal experience. Between the 5X and 6P, I’d get a better display, build, processor, battery and camera. All for a difference of Rs 4000! Doesn’t seem like a lot in retrospect. What would be of a concern to me is the after sales service. Because Rs 40000 is still quite a bit of money. More so if it breaks.
I’d expect Google to optimise Android Marshmallow on it so that obvious glitches are ironed out. I’d also hope Huawei is working to assuage my concerns there. While LG has a deep network, I’ve hardly seen any Huawei service centres around where I live.

Unknown

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.